Let the lower lights be burning; Send a gleam across the wave! Some poor fainting, struggling seaman you may rescue, you may save (Hymn #335).

Sunday, June 5, 2011

My Testimony of Joseph Smith

It's Fast Sunday again, so I wanted to share a part of my testimony once more.  I shared my testimony of Christ last month, and this month . . . well, I was going to share my testimony of The Book of Mormon, but I think I will instead share my testimony of Joseph Smith.  That was a spur of the moment decision right there.  I had already prepared a few things on The Book of Mormon in my head, and I really don't have anything ready about Joseph Smith.  Maybe that will make it easier for the spirit to guide me.


First I want to share a scripture that shows the power of Joseph Smith's words.  This is from Joseph Smith History 1, part of verse 16 and verse 17:
I saw a pillar of light exactly over my head, above the brightness of the sun, which descended gradually until it fell upon me.
17 It no sooner appeared than I found myself delivered from the enemy which held me bound. When the light rested upon me I saw two Personages, whose brightness and glory defy all description, standing above me in the air. One of them spake unto me, calling me by name and said, pointing to the other—This is My Beloved Son. Hear Him!
I understand why it's a difficult concept for so many to grasp.  That a mere fourteen year old boy saw Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ in the latter days goes against the popular belief that the heavens are closed and God does not reveal word to his children.  What confuses me though is that plenty non-Mormon Christians certainly receive revelation.  Even those who seem to believe that God does not speak to man anymore receive of his guidance.  People still pray for help knowing what they should do with their lives. And God gives them direction.  It only makes sense that God would give us a prophet to receive modern revelation for all of us, just like he did in Bible times.  I mean, The Bible tells us a lot, and I'm not putting it down to any degree, but there are challenges and problems today that weren't as big of a deal in Bible times.  People can too easily misinterpret The Bible and twist the words around, but the words of modern day prophets can clarify and reinforce those teachings, adapting them for the day we live in.  I know Joseph Smith was a modern day prophet, and the Lord restored his full gospel to the earth through him.  Here is the chorus from one of my favorite hymns (Praise to the Man, Hymn#27):


Hail to the Prophet, ascended to heaven!  Traitors and tyrants now fight him in vain.  Mingling with Gods, he can plan for his brethren; Death cannot conquer the hero again.
This is an amazing song.  Every time I sing it I think about all that Joseph Smith did and how grateful I am that he went through what he went through.  No man would have endured the persecutions, jail time on false accusations, friends turning on him, tar and feathering, mobs, mocking, deaths, and so much more for a false cause.  I know Joseph Smith was directed by God to do all he did.  I know he translated The Book of Mormon, and that The Book of Mormon is the word of God.  I know God still speaks to our prophet, just like he spoke to Joseph Smith and the prophets before the coming of Christ. 


I guess this post was a little shorter, but I felt like this is what I should write today.  I will be gone next Sunday, so I will most likely not have another post for two weeks.  Anyway, this is Scotty, thanks for reading, and keep the faith!

No comments:

Post a Comment