Let the lower lights be burning; Send a gleam across the wave! Some poor fainting, struggling seaman you may rescue, you may save (Hymn #335).

Sunday, May 22, 2011

My War With Me

So . . . just a couple days ago I was talking to my mom and she suggested that I try to write more about what I feel in my blog posts instead of just presenting the facts.  That's really hard for me (for reasons I'm about to explain).  I really don't know how to present this story I want to share, but I hope I can portray how this whole ordeal has made me feel.  It's something I don't really tell many people.  So if everything seems jumbled up and out of order, it is.  That's the way it all is in my head (for the most part), so maybe it'll make it more realistic.  Anyway, here goes nothing.

I love math.  In fact, I teach math.  My seventh period class is a teacher's aid for one of the math teachers.  Most every day this past school year I've had seventh graders coming down for me to help them with their homework.  One time I had this special ed kid, I'll call him John, who was pretty well frustrated with his homework.  He wanted to use a calculator to help him.  The conversation went something like this:
     "You don't need a calculator," I told him.
     "He's allowed," another kid said.  They informed me that he had ADD or something, and he was allowed to use a calculator.  I figured it would be good to ween him off of it a little.  He wasn't stupid, he was actually doing pretty well.  So I had him avoid using a calculator as much as possible.  I wasn't trying to be cruel, I knew he needed to learn to do math on his own, and it was obvious he was capable.  Later on he made a stupid mistake. I told him it was all right.  I don't remember exactly what he said back, but something to the effect of:
     "I need to use a calculator because I'm retarded." I know he used the word retarded. 
     "You aren't retarded," I said honestly.
     "Yeah I am.  I have ADD.  I'm in special ed."
     It had to be one of the saddest things I had ever heard in my high school career.  John wasn't retarded, he wasn't stupid, but because he was in special ed and he was allowed to use a calculator when other kids weren't he thought he was.  I won't get into my feelings about how the schools handle special ed students, but I'll just say it didn't help John's self esteem any.  The next thing I said surprised me, but I figured this kid needed to hear it.
     "I'm gonna tell you something I don't tell many people, okay?"  My heart was thumping.  Was I really about to tell this little ADD seventh grader this?  He looked at me with more interest.  Again, I don't remember exactly what I said, but it went something like this.
     "I have Asperger's," I said.  "Do you know what that it?"
     "Yes."
     There were other people in the classroom, so I explained anyway.
     "It's like autism, just very mild.  I haven't been officially diagnosed, but my mom's pretty sure I have it.  My case is mild, but the school would still have to give me extra time on tests if I wanted.  And I have straight As. I'm first in my class."
     And we finished the class period.  Without calculators, if I remember correctly.  And no more kids calling themselves retarded.  This experience with John is one the main reasons I feel like I need to share my story.
     Learning I had Asperger's syndrome had to be one of the hardest, most depressing struggles I've battled with in my whole life.  Just to give you an idea, here are some symptoms I found on WebMD.com (I don't know how reliable it is, but it's one of the first websites that popped up on Google).  Those of you who know me, especially my close friends and family, will probably nod and smile at some of these.  In fact, some of these "symptoms" are what make my friends laugh when I'm hanging out with them, which bugged me for a little, but now I realize I love making people laugh so I don't worry about it.  Who cares if Asperger's is what makes me fun?  My friends don't seem to.  Of course, most of them don't know I have Asperger's.  Anyway, the symptoms (I wonder if easily distracted is one of them?).  These are much more obvious in me when I'm tired:
Although there are many possible symptoms of Asperger’s syndrome, the main symptom is severe trouble with social situations.
Let's just say . . . you have no idea.
Children with Asperger's syndrome may . . . not pick up on social cues and may lack inborn social skills, such as being able to read others' body language, start or maintain a conversation, and take turns talking.
Sound like me yet?  I'm a lot better now than I used to be.  I still have trouble.  I have a hard time knowing if I should go up to people and say hi, if they want to talk to me, when to make eye contact, when it's my turn to talk, when the story I'm telling is getting boring.  Little alarms go off in my head every time a pretty girl passes me in the hall, often even if it's one of my close friends.  Maybe that last one is more normal.  I really don't know.
Dislike any changes in routines.
You don't mess with my schedule.  I'm to the point where I don't get upset if  school is cancelled, unless I have drama club.  But if I have something set in my head, like a drama club practice, and it get's moved or we get started late or we decide to move our play to a different date it really messes with my head.  In fact, this school year has really stressed me out with classes, extra curricular activities, church, and trying to survive my social situations, yet I'm apprehensive about summer starting.  I'm in a routine with school, and, even though I'm excited for summer in many ways, the idea of my schedule changing drives me bonkers in ways "normal" people just can't understand.
Appear to lack empathy.
I can connect to other's feelings better now, but it's still tough and confusing.
Be unable to recognize subtle differences in speech tone, pitch, and accent that alter the meaning of others’ speech. Thus, your child may not understand a joke or may take a sarcastic comment literally. Likewise, his or her speech may be flat and difficult to understand because it lacks tone, pitch, and accent.
My best friend from school says she needs a sign that says SARCASM to hold up for me.  It's one of our inside jokes . . . strangely, one of the things I don't mind as much about my Asperger's, except when people think you just don't have a sense of humor.  I don't think my speech is that bad, but I really don't know.  I know there have been times I've tried to be sarcastic and people couldn't tell.  I'm a lot better now, most of the time, around the people I really know and who really know me.  Ha ha.
Have a formal style of speaking that is advanced for his or her age. For example, the child may use the word "beckon" instead of "call" or the word "return" instead of "come back."
Does anyone who knew me as a kid remember me doing that?  I really don't know . . . feel free to comment and let me know!
Avoid eye contact or stare at others.
Ha.  Ha ha.  I have to make an uncomfortably conscious effort against this one.
Have unusual facial expressions or postures
???
Be preoccupied with only one or few interests, which he or she may be very knowledgeable about.
In other words - NERD!  Let's see . . . . Star Wars.  I know more about Star Wars than American History (sad, right?).  When I was younger I would get obsessed with different things so easily.  That's why Mom couldn't let me play video games.  That's all I would think about.
Talk a lot, usually about a favorite subject. One-sided conversations are common. Internal thoughts are often verbalized.
My close friends probably know what it means when it says internal thoughts are often verbalized.  I do that when I'm tired.  When I'm excited about something I can talk and talk about it.
Have heightened sensitivity and become overstimulated by loud noises, lights, or strong tastes or textures.
Most food that I don't like is not because of the taste, but because of a strange or unfamiliar texture.  I'm very particular about what clothes I wear when.  If I wear the wrong pair of clothes at the wrong time, the texture is just weird.
Just a couple more. These are from the teen symptoms section.
Although teens with Asperger's can begin to learn those social skills they lack, communication often remains difficult. They will probably continue to have difficulty "reading" others' behavior.   Your teen with Asperger's syndrome (like other teens) will want friends but may feel shy or intimidated when approaching other teens. He or she may feel "different" from others. Although most teens place emphasis on being and looking "cool," teens with Asperger's may find it frustrating and emotionally draining to try to fit in. They may be immature for their age and be naive and too trusting, which can lead to teasing and bullying.All of these difficulties can cause teens with Asperger's to become withdrawn and socially isolated and to have depression or anxiety.
I've felt that.
I found this paragraph particularly interesting:
But some teens with Asperger's syndrome are able to make and keep a few close friends through the school years. Some of the classic Asperger's traits may also work to the benefit of your teen. Teens with Asperger's are typically uninterested in following social norms, fads, or conventional thinking, allowing creative thinking and the pursuit of original interests and goals. Their preference for rules and honesty may lead them to excel in the classroom and as citizens.
And one thing I've discovered: if you don't like it, change it.  I used to be too trusting, and I got bullied.  But I overcame that.  I don't like the social awkwardness.  And you know, much of it I just have to live with and deal with.  But it's getting better.  My Asperger's could be a partial explanation of why I do well in school.  I think people see me as a good citizen.  And I don't get in trouble.  A detention would mess with my routine (it's more than that, of course.  I was trying to be funny.  Feel free to laugh).  So now that you can kind of see how the Asperger's affects my life, for good and bad . . . well, this post is very long.  Next week I'll explain more of what I've gone through.  What it was like to learn I had Asperger's.  Depression I went through.  Friends who made a huge difference in my life.  I'm still embarrassed by my Asperger's, but I've come to realize that that's who God has made me, and he wouldn't have it otherwise.  In fact, I think some of my Asperger's traits will rise with me into the next life.  I hope so, anyway.  I've finally come to recognize my Asperger's as a blessing.  So anyway, this is Scotty, the Mormon teen with Asperger's trying his hardest to make a difference in the incredibly confusing world around him!  More to come next week!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Scotty! First of all, I LOVE YOU for writing this. I am a mother of 6 kids. I also am a mother of a child with Asperger's. We, like your mom, are figuring this all out on our own and have concluded that Thomas, our 13 year old son, has Asperger's.
    And, thank you for making me cry in public btw. (that was sarcasm.)
    Just within the last couple of months we are figuring out that the ADHD our son has been diagnosed with a few years back is just the tip of what he has. What a relief it has been to learn that he isn't mean, heartless, rude, insensitive, hateful, and bound for prison!! It's just Asperger's. :-) When I searched Asperger's on the web, as you did, I started reading symptoms, then started crying...(yeah, again) I was just so relieved that there was hope. That there was a reason for all this craziness in our home.
    Our 2 oldest children (daughter and son) are out of the home, but left are 2 daughters, then Tom, then a daughter, so....I'm sure you can imagine what he does to THEIR sanity on a regular basis. Miranda is 16, Leanna 15, Tom 13 and Rose 11 and very new at all her hormones changing. He's got his work cut out for him BIG TIME at home.
    I have guilt from thinking it was me and my husband needing to be tougher on him so his will would bend a little, as I'm sure you can imagine. What a relief it has been knowing that we can do this thing.
    I want Tom to read what you wrote. I'm sure he'll get all angry at me that I want him to read it.
    Oh, and the video games that your mom kept you from, GOOD MOVE on her part. He HAS to play them. Somehow we need to wean him off it and get him interested in something else. He'll act like we hate him for doing that, but if we don't, he'll just have no life outside of the home. And he won't have a Summer tan! (that was humor. LOL)

    I could go on and on and on.
    I know my mind is..
    You take care, and know you have touched me in a HUGE way.

    In Him, Janice Engle
    Warsaw, IN

    ReplyDelete
  2. Janice - it's great to hear that what I have written has made somewhat of a difference. I wish I could offer better advice. I guess the best I can do is try my hardest to write from a person with Aspergers' point of view, you know, provide some insight into how we think. Just a couple tips I've learned from my mom - believe it or not, diet can make a huge difference. Somehow when I have too much sugar the Asperger's intensifies. I am also on a gluten-free diet, which is rough, but it helps me see life more clearly. Praying about it will definitely help, and I'm sure you do that already.
    Yes, if he's like me, he will throw a fit about the video games. Just don't give in! Because then he will probably think he's right, and you'll never get through to him. I know with me, if my parents weren't really strict about things, I would create a lot more problems. Just let him know you love him. Tell him good job, tell him it's only for his good, try your hardest to provide him with good ways to spend his time. That's what I would suggest. Anyway, thanks so much for reading. It helps me stay motivated to write more. And thanks for the sarcasm and humor notifications :) Being able to laugh at my Asperger's helps a great deal with the embarrassment that can also come with it. Well, thanks again, and thank you for being so willing to help your son. It's obvious he is in good hands.

    Scotty

    ReplyDelete