Let the lower lights be burning; Send a gleam across the wave! Some poor fainting, struggling seaman you may rescue, you may save (Hymn #335).

Sunday, July 24, 2011

Contemplation on Academic Prowess (among other things) from the Viewpoint of Scotty

So - again I am unsure what exactly I want to write about.  Whatever I write about, I'll try to proofread it this time - my mom informed me my last post (the youth conference one) contained a lot of typos.  Whoops.  Anyhow, I've been thinking for a while about doing a post on academics.  Maybe provide both some insight into what school and learning is for me as a Mormon teen with Asperger's.  I feel like I don't really want to focus too much on the Asperger's, because the less I think about it the more it leaves me alone (or so it seems).  I think I want to focus on the religious side of academics.
     As I have probably mentioned before, I am ranked first in my small high school class of less than 70.  If I work really hard I'll still be ranked first by the end of next year - my senior year.  I am proud to say that in my years of school I have never once cheated.  Cheating seems to be quite common.  I've seen very smart people cheat, probably because they forgot an assignment or didn't have time to study and if they didn't get a good grade it would make them look bad.  I don't need to get into my rant about why cheating is bad and wrong no matter what the circumstance is, but I do want to say that I feel like I've been blessed for not cheating.  There have been times I have taken a poor grade when I could easily have cheated and gotten a good grade.  I feel like my diligence will take me far academically.  I need that, too.  Here's why (let me tell you a secret): a lot of the time, I really don't feel smart.  I can be very ditsy, actually, especially when I'm tired.  Yet somehow I can feel smart in math class or engineering class or English class and, on rare occasion, even history class.  I've been blessed with a good mind (it still needs quite a bit of work, but we're getting there), and I think it's because I try hard to put it to good use and to be honest.  So yeah, I think if I had to sum up my advice for doing well in school in one sentence, it would be something like: "Work hard, don't cheat, and attribute your knowledge to God."  Hey, with a little revision, I think I have a decent sentence right there!
     Is it sad that my posts always seem to find a way to academics?  Was that a rhetorical question, or am I expecting an answer?  I'm just kinda writing what comes to mind now.  Here's a good scripture (D&C 88):

77And I give unto you a commandment that you shall teach one another the doctrine of the kingdom.

78Teach ye diligently and my grace shall attend you, that you may be instructed more perfectly in theory, in principle, in doctrine, in the law of the gospel, in all things that pertain unto the kingdom of God, that are expedient for you to understand;

79Of things both in heaven and in the earth, and under the earth; things which have been, things which are, things which must shortly come to pass; things which are at home, things which are abroad; the wars and the perplexities of the nations, and the judgments which are on the land; and a knowledge also of countries and of kingdoms—

80That ye may be prepared in all things when I shall send you again to magnify the calling whereunto I have called you, and the mission with which I have commissioned you.
 So, really, even more important than academics is the knowledge of the gospel.  And from the sounds of it, it's important to know what's going on in the world as well.  That's one thing I'm not good at (one reason I don't feel smart; I know next to nothing about current events).  I should work on that.  So even if I slip up and I'm only salutatorian next year, as long as I learn the gospel well, I should be all right, right?  :)  Well, this is Scotty, thanks for reading, and I'm thinking about posting some original poetry next week . . . I'm a poetry kinda guy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment